Wednesday, February 8, 2012

One Year

Today marks the one year anniversary of Blue starting academy and becoming a police officer. My how time flies!

So much has changed in the past year.

Blue is happier. He comes home smiling. Tired, but smiling. Even when he's had a bad day and an IPDA has peed in the back of the cruiser, or an uncooperative woman won't give him her DOB...he's still happy.

Blue is excited. As it gets closer and closer to the start of a new set of shifts you can see him change gears. He looks forward to going into work, to seeing his friends, and to what new sorts of calls will come in.

I'm more independent! I'm excited about this one. I used to rely very heavily on Blue and him being around and doing things for me. I would hate when he would come home from work and then turn right around and go out with friends or do a side job. Now? Not a big deal. This career change has forced me to think for myself, rely on my own abilities. It's helped me realize that I'm much stronger than I had thought.

We are more connected as a couple. With Blue getting 4, 5, or 6 days off in between his shifts we've been able to relax more together. He helps out around the house and actually has the energy to get things done or spend time with the kids.

I honestly didn't think that this transition into being a cop's wife would be as easy as it has been. Maybe we're just cut-out for this life? It kinda feels like it. I've loved this past year. I've loved everything about Blue becoming a police officer.

So, here's to our first year as a police family!
Congrats Blue.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that it has been going so well! We are hoping to be joining that journey soon and it's wonderful to see a family who has adjusted so well and is loving the changes being an LEO family has brought them!

    ReplyDelete

Please respect that this blog is intended to be anonymous. Thx.