Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Willflure

We had just taken off and were on our way out of Ft. Lauderdale, putting even more distance between us and the island. I took out the fashion magazine I had just purchased before boarding with the hopes of taking my mind off of the only thing I could think about...

Willflure. A little girl the same age as Waffle. She was, by far, the cutest child I had ever held.

The plane was empty.
I started to cry.
The pictures in front of me only made things worse. I was leaving, they were staying. I was going back to my home, my vehicle, my food, my clothes. She was probably just waking up. Her older brother just getting her dressed in dirty clothes on a dirty floor. She was probably hungry, but there would be little or no food that day.

Blue and I traveled down to Haiti last year. It was the first time we'd seen anything like that. You try to prepare yourself for what you're going to see or hear or smell, but there's no amount of preparation for the way your heart just sinks into the bottom of your feet.

We met a little family while we were down there. The dad was gone and the mom had four children to care for. Her house wasn't a house. It was a shack filled with dirt and mildew. She's since had another child...

I gave her a few granola bars and she looked at me like I was a saint. I couldn't take it, I had to look away. She kept reading the french on the packaging, over and over, "Chocolat! Chocolat!"

Today I'm thinking about Haiti and that family...about Willflure.

2 comments:

  1. You went. That says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for adding me to your blog roll and thank you for caring about those who need our care and help.

    ReplyDelete

Please respect that this blog is intended to be anonymous. Thx.